The Summit will take place this Friday in Indianapolis at Lucas Oil Stadium (East Club Room).
You are invited to participate in the Midwest Summit: Forging a New Consensus on Immigrants and Immigration. This special event will take place on October 12th from 9:00AM-3:00PM in Indianapolis at Lucas Oil Stadium, home to the Indianapolis Colts.
The Midwest is a politically powerful region with a broad-based economy and increasingly diverse population. Immigration solutions that grow communities and increase competitiveness are key to the region’s prosperity. At the Midwest Summit, leaders from the business, faith and law enforcement communities in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio and Wisconsin will gather to discuss these issues, as well as what immigration means to the region and how the federal government can provide commonsense immigration solutions.
We have an informative day planned, with Grover Norquist, President of Americans for Tax Reform delivering the keynote address. See the full agenda below!
The Midwest Summit builds on the success of two similar events: the Mountain West Summit, held in Salt Lake City in October 2011, and the Southeast Summit, held in Atlanta in June 2012.
By working together across state lines, we can better communicate to policymakers and the media about the need for pragmatic solutions at the federal level. We hope you can join us as we forge this important new consensus.
Opening Remarks: Angela Adams, Director, Lewis & Kappes, P.C. 9:00-9:10
Presentation and Q&A: The Economy and Immigration 9:10-9:40
· Richard Longworth, Senior Fellow, Chicago Council on Global Affairs and author of Caught in the Middle: America's Heartland in the Age of Globalism
Panel and Q&A: The Bottom Line: Business and Immigration 9:45-10:30
Topic: What role do immigrants and immigration play in the current regional economy, and how are they important to the future of key industry sectors?
Moderator: Allie Devine, Partner, Devine and Donley, LLC
- Jim Partington, Executive Director, NE Restaurant Association
- Dave Hille, President, Cabbage Inc. [OH]
- John Rosenow, Managing Partner, Rosenholm Wolfe Dairy and Co-Owner, Cowsmo, Inc.
- Angela Smith Jones, Director of Public Policy, Greater Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce
Panel and Q&A: Economic and Workforce Development 10:40-11:25
Topic: What role do immigrants play in innovation and economic revitalization and how can immigration keep Midwestern businesses competitive in a globalizing economy?
Moderator: Josh Hoyt, Chief Strategy Executive, Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
- Martin Baier, Vice President, Programs and Services, The International Center
- Shannon Kiely Heider, State Government Relations Director, Cummins Inc.
- Steve Tobocman, Director, Global Detroit
Panel and Q&A: Faith and Culture in the Midwest 11:30-12:15
Topic: How have communities of faith, and the culture of the Midwest overall, been shaped by the arrival of immigrants in the region? How do problems in the immigration system affect communities, particularly religious communities and their epicenters?
Moderator: Noel Castellanos, CEO, Christian Community Development Association
- Leith Anderson, President, National Association of Evangelicals
- Carl Ruby, Vice President for Student Life, Cedarville University
- Rabbi Brett Krichiver, Senior Rabbi, Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation
- Robert Gilligan, Executive Director, Catholic Conference of Illinois
Lunch and Keynote Address with Q&A 12:30-1:15
- Grover Norquist, President, Americans for Tax Reform
Panel and Q&A: Smart Law Enforcement in the Midwest 1:30-2:15
Topic: How does the region’s sense of public safety hinge on the relationship between immigrants and law enforcement?
Moderator: Attorney General Mark Shurtleff, State of Utah
- Attorney General Greg Zoeller, State of Indiana
- Chief James Hawkins, Garden City Kansas
- Sheriff Mark C. Curran, Jr., Lake County, IL
Closing Remarks 2:30-2:45
- Ali Noorani, Executive Director, National Immigration Forum
Event LocationLucas Oil Stadium (East Club Room)
500 South Capitol Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46225
The registration deadline for this event has passed.